Alternative Addiction Treatment Programs in Jersey City, NJ (201) 620-9141
Alternative addiction treatment programs are becoming more and more common, and that’s because research increasingly shows that a holistic approach to drug and alcohol treatment is more effective than traditional treatments alone.
Alternative addiction treatment is considered alternative medicine, which simply means that there is limited clinical evidence of the health effects of these therapies. But this does not make them any less effective.
There’s no shortage of scientific research that shows the connection between the mind and body in the healing process, whether you’re healing from surgery or the flu or an addiction. A positive attitude and good mood goes a long way toward improving immune function, and alternative addiction treatment is all about improving mood and promoting a positive outlook.
If you are suffering from an addiction to drugs or alcohol, call Jersey City Drug Rehab Treatment Centers now at (201) 620-9141.
Why Choose an Alternative Drug Treatment Program?
When combined with traditional treatment methods, alternative treatments promote recovery by improving the balance of the body, mind, and spirit. This is the holistic approach, and physicians and addiction experts alike, stress the importance of a well-rounded treatment program that incorporates aspects of alternative treatments for drug addiction.
A holistic approach promotes body and mind awareness, self-reflection, and personal growth, and facilitates permanent lifestyle changes that not only improve health in the long run, but also in the immediate present. Holistic programs combined with traditional treatment results in decreased stress and better immunity, and it narrows the gap between the mind and body, a disconnect that many in recovery experience, and which can impede healing.
Alternative Treatments for Recovery
- Alternative treatments abound, but these are the mainstays that have been shown time and again to improve the outcome of drug and alcohol recovery.
- Acupuncture is the process of improving the flow of energy in the body through inserting long, thin needles into the skin at specific points in the body. Acupuncture is painless, and it can help reduce withdrawal symptoms during detox as well as reduce anxiety, cravings, and irritability and improve focus.
- Biofeedback is a widely accepted method of controlling pain and harnessing the power of the mind to improve physical wellbeing. Biofeedback involves placing electrodes on the skin, which monitors involuntary body functions like muscle tension, heart rate, breathing rate, and skin temperature. These readings are displayed on a monitor, and patients learn to manipulate them with the mind to promote relaxation and gain psychological confidence.
- Chiropractic is all about the spine. And so is feeling good. Spine biomechanics are inextricably tied to neurochemical communication and pathways, and manipulating it to stimulate sensors around the body can help reduce chronic stress and improve the sense of wellbeing.
- Massage therapy is used in all stages of recovery in alternative addiction treatment centers. Massage reduces the stress hormone cortisol while increasing the production of the brain chemical dopamine to improve mood and decrease pain. Massage helps improve blood circulation and lymphatic fluid production to more quickly and effectively detox the cells. It’s also deeply relaxing and promotes inner peace.
- Nutrition isn’t an alternative treatment by any means, but good nutrition is essential for the proper function of all body systems. It boosts everything from immunity and brain function to digestion and circulation, and it promotes cell detoxification.
- Yoga improves balance, flexibility, strength, and relaxation for overall good health, and it promotes the mind-body connection by drawing practitioners into the present and increasing self-awareness.
- Equine therapy utilizes horses to mirror human emotions, promote inner calm, and bring the patient out of the brain and into the body. Working with horses brings emotions to the surface, where they can be examined and either discarded or nurtured.
- Meditation is perhaps the most powerful alternative tool for recovery, whether from an injury, surgery, illness, or addiction. Meditation silences the chatter in the brain and promotes relaxation, self-awareness, and inner calm.
Call Jersey City Drug Treatment Centers at (201) 620-9141 to find out more about our drug and alcohol treatment programs and speak to a substance abuse specialist who can answer your questions and guide you in the right direction.